Alaska Psychological Services provides care for children starting at 3 years of age, adolescents and adults:
- Comprehensive mental health assessments
- Medication management
- Neuropsychological testing
We do not offer counseling or therapy services; however, after the initial assessment a referral can be provided to a therapist in the community who would be a good fit for your needs.
Comprehensive Mental Health Assessment
Leska James, ANP and Tracey Wiese, DNP are Board Certified Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners who provide a comprehensive mental health assessment and then provide you with treatment options. Not all patients need therapy and not all patients need medication. The only way to find out what you need is to start with a mental health assessment and no referral is needed. This is appointment is scheduled for 1 hour.
- Patients have varied symptoms because no two people are alike. Your provider is trained to ask the right questions, not just about the symptoms that brought you in, but your history, your daily routine, your physical health and what is going on in your life.
- Before you leave your first appointment, you will be provided with treatment options that are right for you such as; medication management, a referral to a therapist in the community who would be a good fit for you, other types of referrals include occupational therapy, speech therapy, or neuropsychological testing.
- Court ordered mental health assessments may have limitations on the type of professional you may see. Prior to calling our office, please ask if the court will accept the report from a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner.
- Medication Management is helpful for patients experiencing depression, anxiety, attention deficit disorder, mood disorders, autism, and fetal alcohol effects/syndrome.
Testing requires a referral by your medical provider, therapist, or case worker/manager and will not be scheduled until the office has received the referral.
Dr. Heather Russell, PsyD and Dr. Lynn Hicks, PhD are Clinical Psychologists who provide neuropsychological testing services for children and adults with complex symptoms and/or when other treatment interventions are unsuccessful. Testing can be very beneficial if an individual is having difficulty learning, remembering, following directions, complying with treatment recommendations or experiencing difficulty caring for themselves at an age-appropriate level. Testing is also useful if your child is not meeting developmental milestones and/or is having difficulty developing and maintaining appropriate social relationships.
What is the process for testing evaluations?
The testing process begins with a one hour interview with Dr. Russell or Dr. Hicks and is required prior to the testing day. For patients under 18, this will be a parent interview and the doctors ask that you not bring your child to this appointment.
The testing day begins at 9:00 am regardless of age. You or your child are the only patient scheduled on your testing day. If for any reason you or your child are not able to attend, please provide as much notice as possible, so that other patients may have be notified to fill that appointment day.
- Patients who live outside the Anchorage/Mat-Su Valley, please contact the office for specific arrangements in completing this process in one trip.
- Patients 3 to 5 years old will be scheduled from 9:00am to 12:00pm.
- Patients 6 years to adult will be scheduled from 9:00am to 3:00pm with an hour for lunch at noon. Patients can also bring snacks and something to drink.
- It is imperative that all patients, whether children or adults, get a good night’s rest and eat breakfast before arriving for testing.
- Parents, you must stay in the office while your child is testing.
- Dr. Hicks does offer Saturday testing appointments for adults.
- Test results are written in a formal report and take approximately 3 to 4 weeks to be completed.
- Agency referrals are accepted.
- Forensic evaluations must be initiated and paid through the attorney requesting testing.